Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thinking Outside the Box

For the most part, I feel that my jewelry has been simple and clean, which is how I prefer it.  But I think it's also been a bit too boring and generic at times.  I don't think I have pushed myself to think outside the box nearly as much as I should have been.  So the last couple of weeks I've been trying to push myself a bit more.  I'm not 100% sure that my results are anything that people will take a second look at, but it feels good to try some things that I haven't done before.

On our family trip to Montana, I picked up a magazine that was very different from any others I've grabbed over the last few years.  It was also rather expensive, and is only published twice per year.  But I found a lot of inspiration in it.  I'm torn when it comes to looking at other peoples' work.  I love it and try to soak it all in, but at the same time it shines a light on my own lack of creativity.  But overall, it gives me goals to work towards, and ideas on how to get there. 

This three-strand pearl necklace is the most "outside" I've gotten so far.  The clasp is on the side, rather than in back.  The ribbon that goes around the back is a bit frilly and stretchy, and I think it works well with the pearls and charms I added on.

  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. i like it, though i'd have to see it in person to know if i love it ;)
    and i think there is nothing wrong with checking out others work. it gives us inspiration and helps us cultivate what we personally do and don't like.
    and as far as stretching yourself creatively...i am working with my designer friend sewing her next line! how fun is that and SO out of the box for me!

    ReplyDelete